Monday 22 June 2015

Racism, a lesson

So, what is racism? Let’s break that down into two very, very broad camps. You’ve got Actual Racism where a statement or action has an aggressive agenda. It’s a hate crime, and everyone boos and hisses afterwards because we are all lovely. Then you’ve got relative racism. Relative Racism is the grey buffer zone protected by freedom of speech in the western world. It isn’t intended to be offensive but someone might be offended. In terms of things you might say it will be something less universally agreeable than, let’s say, a bacon sandwich. 

I often make fun of myself or draw attention to the Asian-ness in the name of laughter because I have grown up in a society where humility is a credit to me, so my sense of humour follows. I make fun of me because it makes you laugh and you make fun of you because it makes me laugh. So what about when my friends make fun of me, more importantly, my Asian descent? Put it this way, what kind of person would I be if I took offence to a joke I crack myself but don’t allow my friends to? The thing is; I look different. But my friends don’t see colour in our relationship as anything more than fact. What we are laughing at is racial stereotype juxtaposed with me as an actual interactive human being. So don’t worry lads, you can keep up the good work. But that’s not to say that it’s always ok. Everyone’s different. It’s a bit like anal. If you don’t want to, don’t do it. If you feel pressured, don’t do it. If it hurts a little bit, it isn’t worth it. If there’s a grimace on the receiver’s face, apologise. A lot. And be sincere. If it didn’t hurt the first time but hurts this time, you are free to change your mind. If someone sticks their pee pee up your bum but you don’t want it there, feel free to stick your fingers in their eyes because that shit does not fly. It’s about trust. You meet. You build a relationship. You learn love.Then one day, after trust and security are built, they might suggest that thing. Race jokes are the same. You don’t dive in the deep end until you’ve tested the temperature. Yes, you can crack one about my skin, provided you are a well informed liberal with a good grasp on irony. That sounds specific, but it basically boils down to whether or not you intend on being a cunt. If you still aren’t sure, just don’t do it. Seems easy to me. But I’m not every Asian. I’m not every woman, or every anything. What applies to me and my sensibilities as one British born Chinese is not a rule for the rest of the world. I cannot account for anyone else’s racial sensitivity. Tread with caution.

Now, on the other hand, if I had a friend who was being racist or made a remark which was ignorant or challenging, then we’d have a problem. The first being we’re not friends. Ignorance is almost excusable, but propagating false or dangerous statements is not. Note that tolerance has a place, but I’m not interested in being merely tolerant of Indians or Armenians or Americans or anyone else. No one gets the extras when they only ask for the basic package

Let me give you an example of something that thoroughly rattled my cage. A few weeks ago some chick climbed some mountain and as a display of her mountain prowess stripped off at the top. Not long after I was reading some bullshit status that was being shared around Facebook. 

’30 days in prison for kissing in public in Dubai… Taking your clothes off on a mountain in Malaysia straight to jail… Because you should respect other countries cultures and beliefs… Come to the UK and burn our flag piss on our beliefs murder our soldiers scrounge and scam our system spread all your hatred towards us… And we won’t do shit incase you pull out the racist card… It’s fucked up! Share if you agree!’

The whole basis of the statement is based on ridiculous assumptions. Tourists are not immigrants, immigrants are not terrorists, and terrorists are not lurking behind every bush. If you learn one thing today folks, let it be that. The idea that tourists come to the UK to ‘burn flags’ and ‘scrounge’ is absolutely ludicrous. So let’s say that what he actually meant to say is that immigrants do those things. Logic nor grammar being the poster’s strong points, but I think we can agree that’s what he meant. I have never met a single immigrant who has ever murdered a soldier or pissed on the Union Jack. What he speaks of is extremism which can from from immigrants or, shit you not, white people too. Then we have the indirect claim to cultural tolerance. As it was so elegantly put, it’s all because you’re afraid of being called a racist. Well then sir, not only are you racist but also a coward. A racist in sheep clothing. He hates, but doesn’t want to see it as hate. The biggest danger of all. He makes broad claims about the non-white world (we out number you, remember that) with no evidence, predicated on a belief in Western Supremacy, and he shields himself with Western Law. Western Laws are the most ‘liberal’ and the ‘best’ and everyone else is an ape in comparison. No. You’ve clearly never been to Malaysia… or anywhere more exotic than Shagaluf. (Shit, is that me being racist now?) The laws here are fair and like most other countries, designed for protection. But this prick thinks he lives in the most ‘liberal’ of them all so he must be right. All visitors to the country are here to steal your jobs and rape your cousins. Apparently. 

I’m not saying we shouldn’t be proud to be British. In fact, I am all for patriotism. It harmonises and generally boosts the morale of communities. Who doesn’t love Sunday roasts and Tetley tea? What I worry about is the xenophobia generated by narcissism and far right nationalism. Upsettingly, more and more people seem to feel an affinity with this sort of dangerous thought, and it’s becoming easier to access, even if you don’t want to.

I’m on my way home. I haven’t seen the bonnie ‘burgh in over a year. But sometimes I worry I’m not going to like what I see.

No comments:

Post a Comment